Saturday, October 20, 2007

Computers do more than just compute

eWaste is a mounting problem. Never heard of it? eWaste is defined as discarded electronic products. We make about 20-25 million tonnes of it every year which not only creates landfills, it leaches dangerous chemicals (such as mercury) into to water supplies. While ewaste can be recycled, I suggest reducing ewaste by reducing consumption.

Today's computers can do a lot more than you can imagine. Using my laptop (Apple PowerBook), I can do the following things:
  • Listen to music, free internet radio, and pod casts
  • Watch DVDs and [legally] downloaded movies
  • Organize my information (calendar and contacts)
  • Create photo albums
And when I sync my cell phone (Sony Ericsson w810i), I can do the following mobily:
  • View my contacts and calendar
  • Read electronic books
  • Send notes and reminders to myself
  • Listen to CDs, MP3s and FM radio
Using a little imagination, you can understand how much money and resources I'm saving by utilizing these devices to their fullest. A TV/DVD player can cost $500 or more. Paper-based calendars are bulky and wasteful. A boombox costs hundreds of dollars.

In the spirit of offering suggestions, use Google to see what your devices can do. Use your imagination first. Think about what you want your device to do (e.g. read books on your cell phone). Search for this and your specific device. Assuredly, someone out there has done what you want to do and has posted how-to information.
Image: http://www.greenpeace.org/

2 comments:

me! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
me! said...

Five Easy Ways to Go Organic
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/five-easy-ways-to-go-organic/?em&ex=1193371200&en=5a05b87e57a5edd7&ei=5087%0A

If this link doesnt work, I'm sure if you google the headline you can find it... Posted funny the 1st time.