Saturday, December 22, 2007

The amazing mobile (cell) phone

A while back, I posted about using your computer for more than just computing. In that post, I discussed some of the issues of e-waste (a.k.a., unwanted electronic devices that end up in landfills or worse places). Mobile phones are another big player when it comes to e-waste. But don't just use your phone to make phone calls. Today's mobile phones do so much more. Depending on your exact model, you might be able to do the following:


  1. Make phone calls (of course)

  2. Take pictures

  3. Record your appointments and contacts

  4. Send notes to yourself

  5. Listen to music

  6. Watch videos and movies

  7. And more

Each of these tasks could be completed by an individual electronic device. But why waste all that money? Get a good mobile phone and save yourself the hassle.


Idea #4 is one of the most interesting. I often send email reminders to myself via my cell phone. When I'm in the car and need to remember to send some thank you notes, I just type a quick message and email it to myself. If your phone is capable of sending a text message, simply send a test message to an email address (instead of a phone number). My phone is synced with all of my contacts (which includes myself), so there is no need to type in my email address. I just select it from the list. I save paper and time!


What else do you do with your phone?

Image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Korean.culture-cellphone-01.jpg

No comments: