Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Does it make your potato feel better?

From companies to entire cities, people are beginning to realize that plastic grocery bags are wasteful. More bags lurk at your local grocery store, however. Conspicuously placed in the fresh produce section are rolls upon rolls of produce bags. But what good are they? Let me count the ways:
  1. They keep my cherry tomatoes from rolling away.
  2. They keep the florets of my broccoli from breaking off.
  3. They keep my produce clean.
Granted, in some cases, these bags truly are useful. But too often, I notice people placing one apple in a bag. A bunch of bananas. A single sweet potato! What's up with that? Does your potato feel safer when nestled in an oil by-product sack? I really doubt it.

The third point is valid, I feel. You should, however, wash your fruits and vegetables before consuming them, even if you'll peal them. You don't know where they've been or who they've been with. Regardless, try skipping the bag next time you're at the store, and see how your potatoes feel when you get home. I know my potatoes feel just fine.
Image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Various_types_of_potatoes_for_sale.jpg

No comments: