Saturday, December 8, 2007

What would we do without the Post-it®?

Ubiquitous and convenient are just two adjectives that describe 3M's Post-it®. No office is complete without a stack of yellow (or blue or teal or pink or...) self-sticking note pads. From June 2006 to May 2007, 3M raked in $106 million from these tiny pads. Though paper requires vast amounts of trees to be cut, energy to be consumed, 3M is fairly dedicated to environmental responsibility, according to their FAQ page. It's even possible to buy new Post-it® notes made from recycled paper. But this leaves me feeling uneasy.

In an effort to reduce my paper consumption, I've started to keep many notes on my computer and cell phone. Apple's Mac OSX comes standards with a program called Stickies, which emulates the paper version. I find it's easier to alter text on the electronic version. A poll shows that nearly 45% of users utilizes this program. Windows might have something similar.

But what about portability? Post-it® notes notes are great because you can take them with you. Most people also take a cell phone with them. This is the current solution to my grocery list. In my case, I sync my phone with my computer my list is transfered to my cell phone. If you're less tech-savy, poke around in your cell phone and you'll most-likely find a note program.
Image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Post-It.jpg

No comments: